Last update: 01 August 2022, 08:15 AM IST
World Lung Cancer Day 2022: The lungs are a pair of spongy, air-filled organs located on either side of the chest that enable one to take in oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide. Failure of this organ can be immediately fatal. According to the World Health Organization, lung cancer is responsible for approximately 25% of cancer deaths and is one of the most common cancers worldwide. World Lung Cancer Day is observed on 1st August every year to raise awareness about the challenges and dangers associated with lung cancer.
On World Lung Cancer Day 2022, we have listed here the types, symptoms, treatment and prevention of lung cancer.
Types of lung cancer:
Lung cancer can be broadly divided into two main types:
- Small cell lung cancer (SCLC)
- Non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLS)
NSCLS can be further divided into three main categories:
- Squamous cell carcinomas
- Large cell carcinomas
Common symptoms of lung cancer:
- Lung cancer causes pain in the chest and ribs.
- The most common symptoms include a cough that may be chronic, dry, with mucus or blood.
- This can cause fatigue and loss of appetite.
- Lung cancer increases the risk of respiratory infections, wheezing and shortness of breath.
- Other common symptoms include weight loss, hoarseness, swollen lymph nodes and weakness.
Treatment of lung cancer:
Treatment for lung cancer depends on the stage of cancer in a person’s body and the extent to which the disease has damaged blood vessels, lymph nodes, and nodes. Treatment for lung cancer can be divided into 4 different types:
- Targeted therapy
- Radiation therapy
Medical professionals will first identify what type of treatment is best for an individual after a proper diagnosis.
So, how to prevent lung cancer?
- Quit smoking.
- Avoid secondhand smoke.
- Maintain a healthy diet.
- Exercise daily.
- Avoid exposure to any type of toxic chemicals.
Read all Latest news And Latest news Here