Last update: August 01, 2022, 5:13 PM IST
The Supreme Court on Monday asked the Bombay High Court to take an early decision on the plea of Lt Col Prasad Purohit, an accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case. Purohit approached the High Court and said that the permission given by the government to prosecute the case is wrong in law.
A bench of Justice Hemant Gupta and Justice Vikram Nath noted that 246 witnesses have been examined so far. A petition filed by the petitioner is pending before the High Court where it has sought cancellation of the approval. “Considering the facts and circumstances of the case, we consider it appropriate to request the High Court to take up this petition and decide it expeditiously in accordance with law,” the bench said.
On December 18, 2017, the High Court refused to revoke the government’s approval to prosecute Purohit in the blast case. Earlier, a special National Investigation Agency (NIA) court had rejected his plea to acquit him in the case. Prior approval was required to prosecute Purohit as he was a serving army officer at the time.
On September 29, 2008, six people were killed and over 100 injured when an explosive device attached to a motorcycle exploded near a mosque in Malegaon, northern Maharashtra, about 200 km from Mumbai. All the seven accused in this case are currently out. Bail.
Read all Latest news And Latest news Here