Last update: August 05, 2022, 7:21 PM IST
World number three Rafael Nadal, who has not played since suffering a ruptured stomach at Wimbledon last month, has withdrawn from next week’s ATP event in Montreal, he said on Twitter on Friday.
The announcement dealt a major blow to the Spaniard’s hopes of being fully fit for the US Open, which starts in New York later this month.
CWG 2022 – Full Coverage | In depth India Focus | Out of the field In pictures Medals tally
“Since my return to training, everything has been fine these weeks. Four days ago I started working on my serve and yesterday, after training, I had a little pain that is still there today,” Nadal said. Tweeted in Spanish.
“We have decided not to travel to Montreal and continue training sessions without forcing ourselves.
“I have no choice but to be careful and think about my health at this time.”
The 36-year-old, a five-time winner in Montreal, has not played since pulling out of the Wimbledon semifinals with Nick Kyrgios after failing to recover from a ruptured stomach in the quarters.
It was the latest in a long string of injuries for Nadal, who will be looking to add to his record 22 Grand Slam titles in the absence of Novak Djokovic at Flushing Meadows.
Before his latest setback, he had already missed 11 Grand Slam events since his debut in 2003.
Latest news And Latest news Here