Amid China’s warnings, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi arrived in Taipei on Tuesday for a visit to Taiwan that pushed tensions between Washington and Beijing to a new level.
Most of Pelosi’s scheduled meetings, including with President Tsai Ing-wen, were scheduled for Wednesday, a person familiar with her itinerary said.
Pelosi has spent more than three decades in Congress and has been an outspoken opponent of China.
In 1989, he raised a flag in Beijing’s Tiananmen Square to pay tribute to the victims of a violent crackdown on pro-democracy protesters.
What you need to know about Pelosi:
- Pelosi is the 52nd Speaker of the House of Representatives, having made history in 2007 when she became the first woman to serve as Speaker of the House.
- In January 2019, Pelosi made history once again when she reclaimed her position as second in line for the presidency – the first person to do so in more than six decades.
- His late father, Thomas D’Alessandro Jr., served as mayor of Baltimore for 12 years, after representing the city in Congress for five terms. His brother, Thomas D’Alessandro III, also served as mayor of Baltimore.
- She graduated from Trinity College in Washington, D.C. She and her husband, Paul Pelosi, who lives in San Francisco, have five grown children and nine grandchildren.
- For 35 years, Pelosi has represented San Francisco, California’s 12th District in Congress.
- He led House Democrats for 19 years and previously served as House Democratic Whip.
Is there a real possibility of Chinese military action on Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan? CNN’s Will Ripley shared his information.
“It is unlikely that China will engage in military activity”: Andrew Freiss, CEO of Ecogenesis Advisory
— News18 (@CNNnews18) August 2, 2022
- He played a role in key legislation under two Democratic administrations, including the Affordable Care Act and the American Rescue Plan, according to his website. He says the prevention plan turned the tide of the pandemic — putting vaccines in the arms of millions of Americans, providing direct aid to needy families, creating millions of new jobs, teachers, police officers, firefighters. , supporting transit workers and other frontline workers. Heroes, and getting kids back to school safely. He also engineered the passage of the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act in the House.
- Now in her fourth term as speaker, Pelosi is working to cut spending, raise wages and create jobs for American families, according to her website.
- In the 111th Congress, Pelosi led the House to pass the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act to rescue the country from the depths of the financial crisis.
- In 2013, she was inducted into the National Women’s Hall of Fame at a ceremony in Seneca Falls, the birthplace of the American women’s rights movement.
It is quite another to punish and control women for using birth control. @HouseGOP Extreme agenda for America
Almost every Republican who opposed our bill to enshrine the basic right of contraception into law made that clear yesterday. pic.twitter.com/Cet0fzEUnk
— Nancy Pelosi (@SpeakerPelosi) July 22, 2022
- As Democratic leader in 2017, Pelosi led the charge to defend American families from Republicans’ “Trumpcare” legislation.
- Pelosi has made the climate crisis a key issue of her speakership. In 2007, he enacted comprehensive energy legislation that raised vehicle fuel efficiency standards for the first time in three decades and vowed to change the game for America’s indigenous biofuels.
- In 2009, he led the passage of the American Clean Energy and Security Act. In 2021, under his leadership, the House passed the largest climate investment in history: half a trillion dollars to accelerate the nation’s transition to a clean energy future while helping communities across the country. Helped improve resilience to climate disasters.
- Pelosi introduced legislation to create the Presidio Trust and turn San Francisco’s former military post into an urban national park.
- He also won the passage of the “Pelosi Amendment” in 1989, which is now a universal tool for evaluating the potential environmental impacts of development.
- In 2021, after President Trump incited a violent uprising targeting the US Capitol and attempting to overturn the election results, the House impeached Trump for the second time. Speaker Pelosi then led the House in creating a bipartisan Select Committee to investigate the January 6 attack.
- She is the longest-serving member of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence in history: serving from 1993-2003, including as ranking member from 2000-2003, and as former Continue to serve.
- He led the historic repeal of the discriminatory “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy, allowing gay and bisexual Americans to serve their country openly.
Read all Latest news And Latest news Here