Last update: August 06, 2022, 07:45 AM IST
Chinese President Xi Jinping announced sanctions against US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and canceled China-US talks (Photo: Reuters)
Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said that there is only one China in the world and Taiwan is an indivisible part of China’s territory.
China-Taiwan News Live Updates: China announced it was suspending talks with the US in a number of areas, including between theater-level military commanders and on climate change, angering US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan. China’s foreign ministry said it was also suspending exchanges with Washington to combat cross-border crime and drug trafficking, all Washington’s actions described as “irresponsible”.
After Pelosi became the highest-level U.S. guest in 25 years on the sovereign island that Beijing claims as its territory, China, angered, launched military exercises in the seas and skies around Taiwan on Thursday. China’s largest-ever live-fire drills in the Taiwan Strait will continue until Sunday afternoon.
Here are the latest updates to the story:
– Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said that there is only one China in the world and Taiwan is an indivisible part of Chinese territory. Wang Yi added that it was a complete “rumor and slander” that the US said China had changed the status quo in the Taiwan Strait.
– China has announced four days of military exercises in six designated zones around Taiwan, in an angry response to Pelosi’s visit to Taipei. The Eastern Theater Command of the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA), which oversees Taiwan, continued its joint combat exercises and training in the northern, southwestern and eastern waters and airspace of the island of Taiwan for a second day on Friday.
– Taipei’s military said 68 Chinese fighter jets and 13 warships crossed the “median line” down the Taiwan Strait during military exercises by Beijing’s forces on Friday.
– India has strongly conveyed its concern to China over certain incidents of Chinese fighter jets flying near the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in eastern Ladakh. He said these concerns were raised during a special round of military talks on August 2. Sources added that the Indian delegation strongly insisted on avoiding flight activities within 10 km of the LAC on both sides.
– The United States on Friday condemned China for ending bilateral cooperation in several key areas, saying Beijing could ease tensions over Taiwan by ending its “provocative” military exercises. National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said China’s decision to halt engagement on climate change and other issues was “fundamentally irresponsible.”
– United Nations chief Antonio Guterres believes it is impossible to tackle the world’s biggest challenges without cooperation between the United States and China, his spokesman said Friday, as relations between the two superpowers strained over Taiwan. .
– The White House summoned China’s ambassador to Washington to denounce Beijing’s “irresponsible” behavior toward Taiwan, a senior U.S. official said Friday.
read Latest news And Latest news Here