2 killed, many wounded by UN peacekeepers firing in eastern DR Congo

Two people were killed and several wounded by UN peacekeepers during an incident in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo on the Ugandan border on Sunday, the United Nations said.

Video of the incident, which has been shared on social media, shows men, at least one in police uniform and the other in military uniform, advancing towards an immobilized UN convoy behind a barricade in Kasindi. . The town is in the Beni region of eastern DR Congo on the border with Uganda.

After the verbal exchange, peacekeepers were seen firing before opening the gate, driving and firing as people scattered or hid.

“During this incident, soldiers of the MONUSCO Force Intervention Brigade returning from leave opened fire at the border post for unknown reasons and were forced to pass,” the UN mission in Kasandi said in a statement. “This serious incident resulted in loss of life and serious injuries.”

Barthelemy Kumble Siwa, the Northern Kew governor’s representative in Kasindi, said earlier that “eight people, including two policemen, were seriously injured” in the incident.

Deadly area

Kumble Siva, interviewed by AFP, did not give a reason why the UN convoy was prevented from crossing the barrier.

More than 120 militias operate in DRC’s troubled east. The United Nations first deployed an observer mission to the region in 1999.

In 2010, this peacekeeping mission became MONUSCO – the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo – with a mandate to conduct offensive operations.

According to the United Nations, they have killed 230 people.

Last week, several towns in eastern DRC saw deadly protests calling for the UN’s withdrawal.

A total of 19 people were killed, including three peacekeepers.

Anger has been fueled by perceptions that MONUSCO is failing to do enough to stop attacks by armed groups.

He said UN Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Operations Jean-Pierre Lacroix was in the central African country on Saturday to “talk to Congolese officials”.

“(They) will examine ways in which we can both avoid a repeat of these tragic events and, above all, work better together to achieve our goals,” he said.

“We hope that the conditions will be met, especially the return of state authority, so that Monaco can complete its mission as soon as possible and leave room for other forms of international support.

Read all Latest news And Latest news Here